Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No Hands!!

So I've been biking a lot lately. Taking advantage of the weather as well as the escarpment trails. Yesterday was my wife's birthday, so I bought her a bike. As we were riding down to the harbour for a little breakfast, we discussed the idea of riding our bikes with no hands. I thought about my face, and how much I like it. Why would I risk falling on it? Then I thought about being a kid. All I wanted to do was be like the big kids. They were riding around with no hands and looking so cool. That's what I wanted. So over time I built up the courage and faith in my bike to do it. I didn't think about my face, or breaking a bone or anything like that. I was focused on the task and just went for it. I was 10 and I was free.
What happened to me? All of these "what ifs" popping into my head 20 some years later. When did I lose my sense of adventure? I learned to ride this way when I was 10. Why can't I do it now, in my thirties?
I sat over breakfast pondering this dilemna. Somewhere along the way I became a wuss. I let logic talk me out of doing something adventurous. As I savoured my cinnamon- raisin french toast, I couldn't help but feel remorseful about the person I'd become. I didn't want that adventure seeker to die. So, with a full belly, and a fresh perspective. I biked back home. And, as I turned down my street, I let go. Did I mention that it was down hill? The speed kept building and building and building. My eyes got wider. My smile got bigger. I didn't crash! My wonderful face is still in tact. I even waved at my neighbour as I passed by. He must have thought I was so cool. Or not.
It doesn't matter. What matters is that in some small way I claimed that adventurous 10 year old back. I'm still here. If I can attach a lesson for my life from this experience. It's just to simply: have faith. Ride thru life sometimes with no hands. If you're battling insecurities, or fears or anything that is holding you back from "living"...let go.
God Bless

1 comment: